The Steering Board is responsible for the governance of the international platform on sport and development (sportanddev). The Steering Board is composed of leading global actors in sport and sustainable development who are committed to the vision of sportanddev. The board approves sportanddev's strategy and budget and oversees implementation by the Operating Team.
The Steering Board of sportanddev was constituted in Namibia in 2007. It is comprised of one representative from each organisation that makes a financial and/or in-kind contribution to sportanddev and provides strategic advice.
The Current Members
- Ms. Marion Keim (Chair), Foundation for Sport, Development & Peace
(Alternate member: Mr Christo De Coning)
- Ms. Lin Sambili (Deputy Chair), Commonwealth Secretariat
(Alternate member: Mr Layne Robinson)
- Mr Andrew Lepani, Team Leader of Team Up, managed by GHD on behalf of the Australian Government
(Alternate member: Ms Catherine Grawich)
- Mr Nick Sore, United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR)
- Mr. Rune Arctander, Norwegian Olympic and Paralympic Committee and Confederation of Sports
- Ms. Elena Marin Yanez, Laureus Sport for Good Foundation
- Mr Leandro Olvech, The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) Foundation
- Ms Emilia Hellqvist, The Swedish Postcode Foundation (Svenska Postkodstiftelsen)
- Mr Marius Dietrich, German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) (observer)
The members of the Steering Board meet physically at least once per financial year to review and discuss sportanddev’s strategic framework and oversee its implementation. The head of the Operating Team is the executive secretary of the Steering Board and participates in Steering Board meetings. The Operating Team is not part of the Steering Board and does not have the right to vote.
sportanddev’s open structure allows for Steering Board members to be included throughout the financial year. Potential members are encouraged to contact the Operating Team to submit offers for contributing to sportanddev. The Operating Team will evaluate the offer, which will then be submitted to the Steering Board for approval.