Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
The Football4Life Manual has been written to assist football coaches to facilitate positive youth development among Namibian youth (boys and girls) who like to play football. It has been developed by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), working in partnership with the Namibia Football Association (NFA).
The manual seeks to promote sport as a tool for both positive youth development and the adoption of healthy lifestyles. The principles set out in this manual can be used by football coaches operating in football clubs/ teams who wish to promote the holistic development of their players or can be used by football coaches working in NGOs where sport is used specifically as means of reaching young people and developing their life skills. The manual can be used by coaches coaching youth under 20 years of age, but the content of the healthy lifestyles section has most relevance to the under 13 and under 15 age groups who are transitioning through adolescence from childhood to adulthood.
- Chapter 1 of the manual examines the parallel pathways that coaches and players follow in their development. This manual is for coaches coaching young people in football as well as in skills for life.
- Chapter 2 of this manual looks at approaches to positive youth development through sport.
- Chapter 3 reviews the Sport2Life approach
- Chapter 4 looks at the YDF approach and how sessions can be planned that include principles from both the S2L and YDF approaches.
- Chapter 5 comprises a number of sample sessions from the YDF manual for different age groups which coaches can use for inspiration in planning their own sessions. We also direct football coaches to the GIZ YDF manual for coaches which contains a methodical series of progressions around different football skills.
- Chapter 6 provides 10 worksheets for coaches that cover a number of healthy lifestyle themes or topics.
- Chapter 7 introduces community mapping as a means of ensuring both the football coach and the young footballers know what support exists in their own community in respect of health and other social issues.
- Chapter 8 considers the monitoring & evaluation process
[This article has been edited by the Operating Team]