Billie Jean King Youth Leadership Award
Billie Jean King Youth Leadership Award
Award and scholarship opportunity for U.S. high school or college students who are using the power of sport as a catalyst for change within their local school or community. Deadline: 30 April 2020
Sports has the power to change the world and unite people like nothing else.
This has never been more evident than in recent years with the volume of youth movements occurring around the country where young leaders are working within their local communities to tackle pressing issues and provide sustainable solutions, all through the power of sport.
As part of the Sports Humanitarian Awards, the Billie Jean King Youth Leadership Award celebrates the legendary sports icon’s commitment to leadership and service, and honors high school and college-aged students who, like Billie Jean King, use the power of sports to improve their communities. The award — which was created in 2019 — will recognize its honorees during the Sports Humanitarian Awards on Saturday 18 July in Beverly Hills, and will air on ABC during a 90-minute special on Sunday 2 August.
Successful applicants will:
- Demonstrate how they are using the power of sport as a catalyst for change within their local school or community
- Be passionate and committed to empowering the community in which he/she/they live
- Deliver social impact showcasing how his/her/their community has been positively impacted
- Embody confidence and enthusiasm as a leader and have strong moral character
- Personify exemplary leadership qualities on and off the field/court
- Be honored during the Sports Humanitarian Awards on 18 July 2020, in Beverly Hills, California, joining the incredible winners and honorees of other prestigious awards, including the Muhammad Ali Sports Humanitarian Award and the Stuart Scott ENSPIRE Award
- Receive either a one-time $10,000 college scholarship or direct a grant to an eligible nonprofit aligned with their work
- Participate in experiential learning and development programs over the next year to receive mentoring, leadership coaching, engage with senior leaders in the sport industry and attend sport-for-development workshops
- Meet and learn from tennis legend and social activist, Billie Jean King
- Join the Award’s Alumni program — a powerful network of young leaders using the power of sports to create social good in their communities
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. national or permanent resident
- Students must have a demonstrated financial need as verified by their college or university, if being considered for a scholarship
- Students must have a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale, if being considered for a scholarship
- Must be under 25 years of age
- For academic scholarships, applicant must be a rising High School Senior or current College Freshman, College Sophomore, College Junior attending an accredited 4-year college or university.
- For a donation to an eligible nonprofit, applicant can be a High School Freshman, Sophomore, Junior or Senior or current College Freshman, College Sophomore, College Junior, College Senior.
- Selected individuals must be able to attend the event in Beverly Hills on Saturday, July 18, 2020
- One-time academic scholarships awarded in the amount of $10,000 to an accredited college or university where this individual has been accepted and plans to attend or is currently enrolled, or a donation of $10,000 to the nonprofit charity aligned with the nomination, as long as it meets The Walt Disney Company's charitable giving guidelines and award program eligibility criteria
- Scholarships applicable for one-year only and are non-renewable
- Funds cannot be granted to an individual but rather the accredited college or university where the individual has been accepted and plans to attend or is currently enrolled or the nonprofit charity of their choice
Applications are due by midnight on 30 April 2020.
If you have any questions about the Billie Jean King Youth Leadership Award, please email Georgie@beyondsport.org. If you have technical questions or need support on this site, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or access the Help Center.
Visit the Billie Jean King Youth Leadership Award website for more information and to apply.