Development Manager (Grants)
Development Manager (Grants)
Skateistan is looking for an enthusiastic individual with a passion for non-profit work to join our award-winning organization as Development Manager (Grants).
The position will play a central role in maintaining and diversifying Skateistan’s funding streams through grant applications and proposals to public sector donors, foundations and corporations. Donor research and relationship building will also be a key responsibility, to help ensure sustainable funding for Skateistan’s programs across Afghanistan, Cambodia, and South Africa.
The successful candidate will have at least four years of relevant work experience, ideally with a nonprofit organisation in the sport for development and education sector. They will also have excellent writing skills, a track record of securing grants from a diverse range of donors, and be a positive and enthusiastic team player who can work effectively across different cultures. The role reports to the Development Director and has supervision and training responsibility for development staff across Skateistan’s country offices, as well as for a Berlin-based volunteer.
The initial contract will be for 12 months with possibility of renewal, and will be based at Skateistan’s head office in Berlin, Germany. Travel to all of Skateistan’s Skate Schools in Afghanistan, Cambodia, and South Africa will be required throughout the year.
Applicants need to be EU citizens or have a current EU work permit.
- Funding leads and proposal writing
- Assist Executive Director and Development Director in researching and cultivating new donor leads
- Prepare all major funding proposals, including the coordination of required information from various national and international staff across programme sites
- Prepare relevant award and prize applications for the organisation
- Coordinate task delegation to national development staff and volunteers
- Represent Skateistan at global conferences, and provide support to Executive Director for international fundraising trips
- Strategize with Finance team to determine funding needs
- Grants and Donor Management:
- Work with programmes and monitoring, evaluation and learning staff to write reports about Skateistan's international activities and programmes, in line with donor reporting requirements throughout the year, including the coordination of information from various departments and Skate Schools
- Manage/assist communications with major donors as required regarding queries on proposals or reporting requirements
- Work with national staff on country specific grants management
- Remotely manage, mentor and train 4-5 national development staff across Afghanistan, Cambodia and South Africa
- Conduct weekly meetings with national communications and development teams to ensure they are up to date on donor commitments, the organisational strategy and achievements and events of the organisation
- Ensure project teams are prepared for donor visits
- Coordinate with communications team to ensure that major donors are recognized according to the commitments outlined in the grant agreements (includes social media, website and other platforms), and also Skateistan’s policies on donor recognition
- Provide communications team with the necessary information for the creation/updates of print and online promotional materials
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum professional and academic experience:
- 4+ years and a proven track record in successful fundraising and grant writing for organisations with multi-million dollar budgets
- Experience working remotely and across diverse cultures
- Graduate of international development, communications, or related degree programme
- Existing donor network
- MEL experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Very strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Strong networker and confident public speaker
- Strong eye for detail and excellent editing skills
- Perseverance and a ‘can do’ attitude towards every task
- Self motivated
- Excellent time management and general organisational skills
- Native-level English speaker
- Very comfortable asking for money, including in person and by telephone
- Proficient with a major fundraising database (ideally Salesforce)
Desired experience and skills
- Post-graduate of international development, communications, or related degree programme
- Experience in researching and cultivating funding leads from a diverse range of donors
- Experience working for a non-profit organisation, ideally in sport for development and education, in Africa and/or Asia
- Fundraising experience from private sector donors, high net worth individuals, philanthropists, celebrities, fundraising boards, and individuals including through recurring gifts, campaigns and events
- Knowledgeable about using social media and emerging digital tools for fundraising
- Proficiency in other languages, especially German
- Background in skateboarding
The Development Manager (Grants) is a full-time paid position beginning December 2017, and includes monthly salary and benefits (paid vacation, medical insurance, work related flights, in-country accommodation).
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your CV, Cover Letter, and a Writing Sample to email@example.com with the subject ‘Development Manager (Grants)’.
The deadline to apply for this position is November 31st.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.