JSFD: Managing Editor (Volunteer)
JSFD: Managing Editor (Volunteer)
The Journal of Sport for Development is looking for a volunteer to serve as their new managing editor, to commence in January 2023 for a two-year term. Deadline: 13 December 2022.
The Journal of Sport for Development (JSFD) is a peer-reviewed, open-access journal. JSFD’s mission is to advance, examine, and disseminate evidence and best practices for programs and interventions that use sport to promote development, health, and/or peace.
JSFD seeks original submissions from researchers, implementers, policy makers, funders, and other stakeholders in Sport for Development. This includes experts and young researchers in public health, education, gender equity, disability, youth development, economics, and conflict. All manuscripts must be submitted online and undergo a rigorous peer review process. All JSFD articles and volumes are made freely available online to the public.
The JSFD Editorial Board is seeking expressions of interest for a new managing editor, to commence in January 2023 for a two-year term. The selected individual will receive an onboarding training facilitated by the outgoing managing editor. We welcome applications from all interested and suitably qualified individuals.
The managing editor serves as the focal point of communication and operations, connecting all JSFD stakeholders in order to support the manuscript review process. The managing editor frequently communicates with editors, editorial board members, reviewers, authors, and the internal JSFD team.
The person who fills this role will have the exciting opportunity to gain a detailed understanding of how a peer-reviewed journal operates and/or enhance any existing experience/knowledge related to academic journals. In addition to day-to-day operations, this role is positioned at the heart of JSFD with the opportunity to develop creative solutions related to process improvement, ways to more efficiently support the copy and layout editing team, or make the website more inviting, among other areas. This role provides a balance of structure and executing existing processes, as well as the opportunity to creatively contribute to the development of the journal.
- Work closely with the co-editors to ensure the efficient and effective handling of manuscripts through to publication
- Manage the JSFD platform on Salesforce, with the opportunity to analyze metrics on JSFD’s progress using interactive dashboards
- Communicate feedback from reviewers and editors to authors with a developmental spirit and tact
- Provide team support for JSFD special projects as needed, including the JSFD Early Career Scholar Award, special issues, JSFD news/announcements, and JSFD team vacancies
- Provide support to the copy, layout, and website editing team as needed, such as final proofreads of materials, collaboratively developing communication and design templates, and identifying ways to quicken the timeline from manuscript acceptance to final publication
- Escalate questions or issues to editors as needed; examples include ethics questions or overdue reviews, among other scenarios
- Oversee the scheduling and facilitation of regular editor calls and provide logistical support during these calls
- Provide manuscript pipeline and organizational updates to team members
- Manage the email@example.com email account
Required skills and experience include:
- Extensive experience in multi-stakeholder project management
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Exceptional time management skills, with experience managing competing deadlines
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Ability to work independently while also collaborating in a team environment
- Self-motivated, and a problem-solver
- Demonstrated commitment to the values and goals of JSFD, including a passion for the broader field of Sport for Development
- Fluency in English
- Experience with Salesforce or similar web or cloud-based data storage or communication systems
- Experience in academic editing and publishing, together with awareness of issues associated with editing an international journal
- Experience with copy editing (APA style 7th Edition) or website editing (WordPress)
- Experience providing direction, feedback, and motivation to a volunteer-based team
- Exposure to international projects and/or remote teams
- Interest in process improvement and perfecting standard operating procedures
As with all positions at JSFD, the managing editor is a voluntary role. The time commitment for this role is expected to be approximately 7 hours per week. The selected individual will serve as the main point of contact for JSFD.
Expressions of interest should include:
1. A brief cover letter (one page maximum) indicating:
- The skills and experience that the candidate will bring to the role
- The motivations for joining the JSFD editorial team
2. A brief CV (one page maximum)
Please submit your expression of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by 13 December 2022.
The current Managing Editor (Alessio Norrito) or the co-editors (Richard Loat, Per Svensson, and Meredith Whitley) are happy to discuss this position with any potential applicants. Contact can be made via the email@example.com email account or by contacting individuals via their institutional email address found here.