Remote Project Officer, sportanddev
Remote Project Officer, sportanddev
sportanddev is looking to recruit a project officer to work remotely, on a consultancy contract. Deadline 25 June 2020.
The Swiss Academy for Development (SAD) is a centre of excellence for sport and development. We use sport and play to empower disadvantaged children and young people in Switzerland and internationally to become healthy, educated and employed citizens. SAD was founded in 1991 as a non-profit foundation in Switzerland.
SAD operates the International Platform on Sport and Development (sportanddev), an online communications platform (www.sportanddev.org), networking tool and learning hub for organisations using sport in development and humanitarian work. It is a multi-stakeholder initiative, with a community of around 10,000 individuals and 1,000 organisations, including NGOs, governments, intergovernmental agencies, sports federations and universities.
sportanddev’s Steering Board oversees the strategic direction of the initiative. It is comprised of leading organisations in sport and development: the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, the Commonwealth Secretariat, the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation, the Norwegian Olympic and Paralympic Committee, Reach Out To Asia, UEFA, the Foundation for Sport and Development and Peace, and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (an observer).
sportanddev is looking to recruit a project officer to work remotely, on a consultancy contract. We are open to applications from different parts of the world. However, one of our key strategic priorities is to strengthen networks in low- and middle-income countries. It would therefore be beneficial if you live and/or work in Latin America, the Caribbean, Africa, Asia or the Pacific islands.
You will be responsible for updating sportanddev’s news and views section by writing and editing articles, events and job opportunities. You will assist the operating team with animating and moderating the community areas of the sportanddev website and responding to queries and feedback. You will also maintain sportanddev’s social network presence (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and LinkedIn). You will be expected to take part in team meetings (online) and to assist with various other activities within the organisation. The role will include networking and soliciting content from organisations in the country where you are based, and possibly attending relevant events.
Remote, ideally based in a low- or middle-income country
As soon as possible
Type of contract
Length of contract
Six months, with the possibility of extension. Please note that we are looking for a long-term consultant; therefore, if performance is satisfactory, we are open to extending this contract regularly.
Level of effort
We are looking for a full-time commitment (40 hours per week) though we are open to discussing different arrangements if need be. Working hours are flexible
1,500 Swiss francs per month
Writing and editing (40%)
- Regularly writing articles about sport and development
- Conceptualising and coordinating campaigns, article series and calls for articles
- Providing feedback on documents written by other team members
- Editing articles received by sportanddev community members for grammar, punctuation, accuracy and consistency with the sportanddev style guide, and publishing those articles on the sportanddev website
Networking and relationship management (10%)
- Building new relationships by meeting stakeholders in your region and attending events
- Looking for opportunities to build formal partnerships between sportanddev and other organisations
- Responding to inquiries and liaising with sportanddev community members
Social media (20%)
- Updating the sportanddev social media strategy
- Posting on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter
- Monitoring social media statistics and reporting on them
- Responding to messages on social media
- Following developments on social media to ensure sportanddev’s social media strategy is in line with current good practice
Newsletter coordination (10%)
- Coordinating the fortnightly newsletter process
- Creating and sending out fortnightly newsletters
Communications strategy (10%)
- Following developments in the media and trends in sport and development, and providing input on the sportanddev content strategy based on those trends
- Contributing to the overall communications strategy of sportanddev
- Contributing to PR and marketing as required
- Contributing to fundraising as required
- Assisting with other relevant projects as required
Experience and qualifications
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant subject
- An excellent level of English. Knowledge of additional languages is an advantage
- A good eye for the English language with outstanding editing and proof reading skills
- Knowledge of editorial principles and experience following style guides
- Excellent writing skills
- Demonstratable knowledge and experience of sport and development
- Experience in communications and/or editorial roles
- Knowledge of one or more of the following topics: gender, human rights, social inclusion, disability and child safeguarding
- A good understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals
- Strong networking skills
- An interest in working remotely while maintaining regular communication with a global team
- Willingness to travel for events and meetings
- An existing network in sport and development
- Monitoring and evaluation and/or data analysis experience
- Knowledge of policy issues (governmental and/or intergovernmental)
- Knowledge of the use of sport to address challenges faced by refugees
- Graphic design skills
- Video editing and production skills
- Experience presenting to large audiences
How to apply
Please send your application to Paul Hunt, sportanddev senior project manager, on firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday 25 June.
Your application must include:
- Your CV
- A one-page cover letter explaining how you can contribute to sportanddev based on your knowledge, interests, skills and experience
- A 400-800 word writing sample in English of which you are the sole author
All documents must be submitted in either Word or PDF formats. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
You can contact Paul Hunt by email or on +41 32 344 49 63 for more information.