Skate Project Specialist
Skate Project Specialist
Skateistan is looking for an enthusiastic individual with a passion for non-profit work to join our award-winning organization as a Skate Project Specialist.
Aiming to increase the global impact of Social Skate Projects across the world, the Skate Project Specialist will support Skateistan to share its programming knowledge in order to increase its impact to select programmes in 2018. The 9-month pilot will result in a set of training tools for use by Social Skate Projects worldwide, as well as develop recommendations for the future scaling of Skateistan’s activities through community support and knowledge sharing.In cooperation with previously selected Social Skate Projects, the Skate Project Specialist will provide additional in-depth, tailored guidance to support these projects to achieve the following:
- Create new opportunities for girls to participate in sport and education
- Develop inclusive programming aimed to include disabled and other vulnerable groups
- Promote equality in their communities
- Implement sustainable staffing models
- Develop financial literacy for sustainable program support
- Lead innovative community-based solutions to social problems
- Build good governance and strong donor accountability
The successful candidate has an excellent understanding of the roles of sport and play in child and youth development, as well as a strong understanding of barriers to women’s participation in community based development programmes.
The initial contract will be for 9 months with possibility of renewal, and will be based at Skateistan’s HQ in Berlin with international travel throughout the contract period to Social Skate Projects worldwide.
- Work with the programme’s director to create and follow a project plan
- Coordinate training visits to the Skateistan skate schools & Social Skate Projects
- Coordinate with Programs Director and Finance Manager to manage the project budget
- Community development & networking
- Develop a tailored support plan for each Social Skate Project, within the project scope & test pilot training resources
- Set up support calls for the 3 participating Social Skate Projects, with appropriate Skateistan experts on staff
- Maintain strong relationships between Skateistan and participating projects
- Facilitate connections and knowledge sharing among participants wherever suitable throughout the duration of the project
- Build meaningful partnerships with other Action Sports for development projects
- Work closely with the programme’s director and programme’s manager to consolidate existing Skateistan knowledge, with the biggest focus on programs processes and training information. This may include the creation of original process and policy documents
- Create first draft training resources for testing
- Design & write content for text-based guides and training materials:
- Child Protection guidelines
- Youth Leadership guidelines
- Inclusive programs guidelines
- Community engagement guidelines
- Back to School program start up guidelines
- Creative curriculum training package
- Skate class training package
- Monitoring and Evaluation training package
- Organisational capacity building training package
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Design and implement basic M&E for the project
- Solicit evaluative/qualitative feedback from participants
- Assess success at reaching project outcomes.
- Share findings internally
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor degree or higher in International Development, Education, Social Work or related field
- 5 years management experience - people or projects with demonstrated experience with participatory training development
- 3 years experience managing community development initiatives in developing country, especially for children & youth
- Extensive experience creating original educational materials and facilitating professional training for delivery of youth programs
- Sport for development experience is an asset
Competencies and Knowledge:
- Experience working with children
- Experience as a consultant
- Native level command of English
- Proficiency in other languages desirable
- Ability to manage digital technology projects and building digital tools
- Knowledgeable and passionate about Social Skate Projects’s, skateboarding and youth culture
- Strong written and communication skills
- Proven ability to create networks and utilise partners to achieve results
- Sound knowledge of theories in the field of ‘Sports & Development’ and ‘International Development’
- Familiar with gender and human rights, women’s empowerment, feminist issues and/or anti-oppression work, either from studies or in a professional context
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Proficient computer skills using G suite (Google Drive, docs, sheets)
- Experience developing engaging visual and written training materials
- Experience working or living with different cultures( time spent in developing countries strongly preferred)
- Organised and self-motivated with an ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently
- Demonstrated ability to set and meet goals – both professional and personal
The Skate Project Specialist is a 9-month contract paid position beginning January 2018, and includes monthly salary and benefits (paid vacation, medical insurance, work related flights, in-country accommodation).
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your CV, Cover Letter to email@example.com with the subject ‘Skate Project Specialist’.
The deadline to apply for this position is 15 December.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.