The 2nd International Forum on Sport for Peace and Development will take place in Geneva from 10-11 May 2011. The Forum will comprise a series of keynote addresses and panel discussions.
Topics on the agenda
The event will combine discussions on policy development with the sharing of best practices. It will assess the successes and challenges of using sport as a tool for human development and peace promotion and pave the way for future action in this field.
A strong focus will be placed on how sport is contributing to achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) - goals that have been identified by the UN as some of the world’s most pressing issues and require the support of everyone.
High-level speakers will include:
- IOC President Jacques Rogge;
- Wilfried Lemke, the United Nations Secretary-General’s Special Adviser on Sport for Development and Peace;
- Mario Pescante, IOC Vice-President of Chairman of the IOC International Relations Commission;
- the Hon. Hugh Robertson, Minister for Sport and Olympics in the United Kingdom ;
- HE Mrs Frances Rodrigues, Ambassador of the Mozambique Mission to the UN;
- Dr Ala Alwan, WHO Assistant-Director General of Non-Communicable Diseases and Mental Health;
- and HE Mr Fred Tanner, Director of the Geneva Centre for Security Policy.