Born in Zimbabwe and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, my passion, expertise and experience is in sport for development and peace. I currently operate as a specialist consultant in this sector, working for the international platform on sport and development as well as a range of other influential local and international actors.
"Ben offers the unusual combination of extensive practical experience in delivering sport for development programmes and in-depth academic reflection. He exhibits Gramsci’s advice to radicals – to combine optimism of the will with pessimism (or at least scepticism) of the intellect. Such informed reflection makes for good practice and informed theory." (Professor Fred Coalter, Visiting Professor at Free University of Brussels and Leeds Beckett University)
- I am an expert and thought leader in delivering development outcomes through sport-based initiatives.
- My work has been used by the United Nations, Commonwealth Secretariat, South African state, and other local and international actors, to develop policies and programmes.
- I have completed the first PhD by publication in Sport for Development in Africa and have published widely.
- I combine civil society leadership experience with development expertise to drive change.
- I have expertise in leadership, strategy, financial management, fundraising, monitoring & evaluation, research and programmes.
- I boast public and private sector experience, including the non-profit sector and with corporate social responsibility.