Indian Sign Language Interpreter, DeafKidz Goal!
Indian Sign Language Interpreter, DeafKidz Goal!
DeafKidz Goal! is looking for an Indian Sign Language Interpreter in Maharashtra, India. Deadine 30 June 2020.
Slum Soccer is a FIFA-awarded Football for Development organisation that uses football as a tool to educate, empower and provide opportunities for diverse and underprivileged communities throughout India. It is founded on the paradigm that football promotes participation, inclusion and unity.
Authentic and proven, DeafKidz International (DKI) is the UK’s leading organisation working to respond to the protection, health and wellbeing needs of Deaf, hard of hearing, deafened and Deafblind (D/deaf) children and young people in low resource and complex humanitarian settings. DKI works to ensure that D/deaf children and young people are able to live safely and without fear of stigma, discrimination and abuse in the communication mode of choice including sign language, use of residual hearing and speech, Deafblind manual alphabet, etc.
To accurately interpret from Hindi/English into Indian Sign Language (ISL), and ISL into Hindi/English, facilitating communication between D/deaf people who use ISL as their first or preferred language, and those who are unable to use ISL, within the 3-year DeafKidz Goal! project.
- Preparation for interpreting assignments
- Accurately and clearly interpret between spoken Hindi/English to Indian Sign Language (ISL) and vice versa in all activities both internal and external in relation to the DeafKidz Goal! Project
- Work with the coaches to ensure that they are fully aware of their D/deaf participants’ inclusion needs and adapt their learning materials and delivery methods where necessary
- Translation of materials e.g. information/updates, publications, news announcements/press releases, videos, curricula etc.
- Invite regular feedback, adapting to the needs of those utilising the services of the interpreter
- Maintain and develop interpreting skills, knowledge and experience
- Work collaboratively with DeafKidz Goal! Project team to identify D/deaf people, including children and young people, with support needs
- Create a communication policy for Slum Soccer and promote Deaf Awareness within the organisation
- Work with the D/deaf coaches to assess and appropriately record the development of D/deaf children and young people’s ISL communication skills
- Contribute written and verbal information regarding DeafKidz Goal participants’ communication skills for monitoring/evaluation reports for funders and/or Slum Soccer/DKI management
- Administrative duties including booking freelance ISL interpreters for the various project activities as appropriate, e.g. football tournaments
- Fully participate in DeafKidz Goal!’s mandatory training programmes e.g. Child Protection, Safeguarding Children etc.
- Represent DeafKidz Goal! in external meetings and networks relating to child protection, safeguarding, ear and hearing care, parenting and homelessness
- Contribute to the promotion of DeafKidz Goal!, Slum Soccer and DKI
- Any other relevant duties as required by DeafKidz Goal! Project Manager, Slum Soccer CEO and DKI Head of Global Programmes
- Indian Sign Language Interpreting qualification - Level A,B,C passed or DISLI passed (Diploma in ISL Interpreting)*
- Registration with Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) You will need to provide your registration number
- Minimum 5 years’ experience of undertaking interpreting assignments with a wide range of D/deaf people with varying communications needs
- Experience of working within the D/deaf community
- Knowledge of issues and barriers faced by D/deaf people
- Knowledge and understanding of the range of communication needs of D/deaf people
- Knowledge and understanding of the role of an interpreter, including ethics, professional boundaries and the application of these in work
- Resilient and positive attitude towards supporting children and young people
- Understanding the importance of confidentiality
- Excellent skills in written and spoken English
- Passion for football and its use as a learning tool
- Experience of sport for development or sport for social change
- Experience & knowledge of child protection and safeguarding processes
- Understanding of child development, including behaviour, emotions, etc.
To apply for a position (please send your CV with a covering letter), or to obtain further information, please contact: email@example.com
Please refer to the personal specification to ensure that your CV clearly demonstrates how your experience meets each of the above requirements, giving specific examples wherever possible. Your evidence should be clear, and related as closely as possible, to the person specification.
Deadline: 30 June 2020.
See the full job description for more information.