UNHCR: Refugee Sports Coordination Intern
UNHCR: Refugee Sports Coordination Intern
UNHCR is looking for a full-time intern within the Sports and Coordination Team at UNHCR Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. Deadline: 11 November 2021.
UNHCR is looking for a full-time intern within the Sports and Coordination Team of the Partnership and Coordination Service (PCS) under the Division of External Relations (DER), at UNHCR Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Title: Refugee Sports Coordination Intern
- Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
- Duration: 6 months
- Contract Type: Internship
- Closing date for application: 11 November 2021
- Start date: 6 December 2021
UNHCR’s Partnership and Coordination Service (PCS) is responsible for ensuring UNHCR approaches partnerships in a strategic and coherent manner. The Service provides support to regional and country offices on relationships with UN agencies, NGOs, sports organizations, advocacy partners and others and ensures that UNHCR exercises effective field leadership and coordination in line with its mandate and agreed frameworks. Located in Geneva, PCS comprises the Inter-Agency and Coordination Section (IACS), the NGO and Civil Society Section, and the Sports Section.
The incumbent will be part of the Refugee Sports Coordination team, which works to provide guidance and support on the use of sport as a tool for protection and development in forced displacement situations, as well as identifying and nurturing sports partnerships and programme opportunities that benefit the children and youth that UNHCR serves.
UNHCR is looking for individuals with a wide range of skills and a strong interest in the mission of the organization to support our work. The incumbent will work under the overall responsibility of the Senior Refugee Sports Coordinator, and under the direct supervision of the Associate External Relations Officer (Sports Coordination) who will on a regular basis discuss the various issues and tasks to be assigned to the incumbent.
Duties and responsibilities
The incumbent’s tasks shall include, inter alia:
- To support the Team in the roll-out of the UNHCR sport strategy
- To support the team’s efforts on outreach to and communication with sport partners including coordinating meetings and producing meeting minutes and briefing notes
- To support the facilitation of sport partners in the Global Refugee Forum process and the activities around the Sport for Refugees Coalition
- To conduct media monitoring and produce a weekly update on sports initiatives for /with refugees globally
- To update internal communication sites and support the knowledge sharing within the organization around sports
- To support the use of CRM tools such as Salesforce to manage the data and information around sport partners
- To produce other materials, as required, related to the sport for protection approach and the use of sport as a tool for protection
- To support the broader PCS team during meetings and events
- Undertake any other tasks assigned
Minimum qualifications required:
In order to be considered for an internship, candidates must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be either a recent graduate (having completed their studies within one year of applying) or a current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a university or higher education facility accredited by UNESCO; and
- Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field relevant or of interest to the work of UNHCR
Desirable qualifications and skills:
The ideal candidate will hold/have:
- Interest in sport for development and peace, communication and advocacy, humanitarian, development or external relations work and in issues related to child/youth development
- Experience preparing briefs, presentations and communication materials
- Experience with photo/video editing tools, Adobe InDesign, Salesforce and/or an interest in learning new software packages;
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills in English - both orally and in writing
- Strong computer skills including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office 365
- Research, analysis and information management skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Effective time management
- Strong organizational abilities
This is a full-time role with working hours starting from 9.00am to 6:00pm Monday to Friday (40 hours per week). The successful candidate will be assigned to support the team in Geneva, Switzerland; however, bearing in mind COVID-19 imposed restrictions, remote working arrangements are possible, and working from home will in any case sometimes be required.
Allowance: Interns who do not receive financial support from an outside party will receive an allowance to partially help to cover the cost of food, local transportation and living expenses.
How to apply
Interested applicants should submit their application through www.unhcr.org/careers.html, click on vacancies and search for JO 30862.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing or training.
We welcome applications from candidates with a refugee or stateless background.