sportanddev: Project Officer (French)
The International Platform on Sport and Development (sportanddev) is the leading global hub for those using sport to achieve social, economic and environmental objectives. It is widely recognised as the foremost global platform to "share knowledge, build good practice, facilitate coordination and foster partnerships in sport and development". It is a multi-stakeholder initiative, with 600,000 unique annual visitors and an online community of around 10,000 registered individuals and 1,000 organisations, including NGOs, governments, intergovernmental agencies, sports federations and universities.
sportanddev’s Steering Board oversees the strategic direction of the initiative. It is comprised of leading organisations in sport and development: the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, the Commonwealth Secretariat, the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation, the Norwegian Olympic and Paralympic Committee, the UN Refugee Agency, the Swedish Postcode Foundation, the Foundation for Sport and Development and Peace, the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) Foundation and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (an observer).
sportanddev has been operated since its inception in 2003 by the Swiss Academy for Development (SA4D), a centre of excellence for sport and development. SA4D uses sport and play to empower disadvantaged children and young people in Switzerland and internationally to become healthy, educated and employed citizens. SA4D was founded in 1991 as a non-profit foundation in Biel/Bienne, Switzerland.
sportanddev is looking to recruit a French-speaking project officer on a consultancy contract. We are open to applications from both individuals and organisations.
You will be responsible for developing and managing the French version of sportanddev. This will include writing and editing articles, events and job opportunities.
This will require establishing networks with other individuals and organisations and spearheading the growth of the website in French, including showcasing stories and voices from the region and soliciting content. You will assist the operating team with animating and moderating the community areas of the sportanddev website and responding to queries and feedback. You will also develop and maintain sportanddev’s social network presence (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and LinkedIn) in French.
You will be expected to take part in team meetings (online) and to assist with various other activities within the organisation. The role will include networking, building partnerships and soliciting content and input from organisations in the region where you are based, and possibly attending relevant events.
In addition, you will be responsible for moderating and managing the massive open online course (MOOC) – Sport for Sustainable Development: Designing Effective Policies and Programmes. The course was launched in July 2020 and has attracted over 5,600 learners from 185 countries. The French-speaking version will be launched in March 2023
Remote, ideally based in a French-speaking country
As soon as possible, ideally on March, 1, 2023
Type of contract
Length of contract
One year, with the possibility of extension. Please note that we are looking for a long-term consultant; therefore, if performance is satisfactory, we are open to extending this contract regularly.
Level of effort
This is a part-time contract, ideally 2/3 days per week, which could be discussed. Working hours are flexible.
To discuss according to experience
Content creation and management (40%)
- Regularly writing articles about sport and development
- Soliciting content from French-speaking organisations, networks and individuals
- Conceptualising and coordinating campaigns, article series and calls for articles
- Providing feedback on documents written by other team members
- Editing articles received by sportanddev community members for grammar, punctuation, accuracy and consistency with the sportanddev style guide, and publishing those articles on the sportanddev website.
- Occasionally translating articles from English into French
Networking and relationship management (20%)
- Building new relationships and networks with French-speaking stakeholders in the region
- Developing formal partnerships between sportanddev and other organisations, including potential funders, and leading on fundraising proposals and grant reporting in French
- Responding to inquiries and liaising with sportanddev community members
Social media (10%)
- Managing social media in French, (posting, animating the community online, responding to messages, etc.)
- Monitoring social media statistics and reporting on them
- Following developments on social media to ensure sportanddev’s social media strategy is in line with current good practice
MOOC moderation (20%)
- Manage the MOOC in French, moderating the forums, engaging with learners
- Reporting on the course and its progress to the course partners
- Customise the MOOC in French, soliciting original content from French stakeholders
- Contributing to PR and marketing as required
- Contributing to fundraising as required
- Assisting with other relevant projects as required
Experience and qualifications
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant subject
- A native French speaker. A working knowledge of English is also required – most written outputs of this contract will be conducted in French, but English is required for verbal and written communication with the team and partners, as well as some other tasks such as contributing to reporting. Full professional proficiency in English is desired but not essential.
- A good eye for the French language with outstanding editing and proof-reading skills
- Knowledge of editorial principles and experience following style guides
- Excellent writing skills
- Social media skills and experience
- Experience with conceptualising, developing and managing partnerships
- Strong networking skills
- Experience with teaching and learning – e.g. moderating courses.
- Demonstratable knowledge and experience of sport and development
- Experience in communications and/or editorial roles
- Knowledge of one or more of the following topics: gender, human rights, social inclusion, disability and child safeguarding, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- An interest in working remotely while maintaining regular communication with a global team. Dynamic and independent individual who can lead this portfolio effectively.
- Willingness to travel for events and meetings
- An existing network in sport and development especially in the French-speaking space
- Skills and experience in fundraising and business development
- Monitoring and evaluation and/or data analysis experience
- Knowledge of policy issues (governmental and/or intergovernmental)
- Knowledge of the use of sport to address specific development goals
- Report writing and grant management skills and experience
- Video editing, graphic design and production skills
- Experience presenting to large audiences
How to apply
Please send your application to Paul Hunt, sportanddev senior project manager, on [email protected] by February 14, 2023, but we would encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible as we will review applications on a rolling basis.
Your application must include:
- Your CV drafted in English
- A one-page cover letter explaining how you can contribute to sportanddev based on your knowledge, interests, skills and experience, also drafted in English
- A 400-800 word writing sample in French of which you are the sole author
All documents must be submitted in English (apart from the writing sample which should be submitted in French). Please use Word or PDF formats. Incomplete applications will not be considered.