The contribution of sport to the European Green Deal
The expert group for eco-responsible sport, mandated by the European Commission, submitted its report on the contribution of sport to the European Green Deal on December 19, 2023. Written as part of the EU work plan for the sport 2021-2024, this report provides targeted guidance and recommendations to enable European sport to achieve the objectives of the Green Deal.
In its work, the group of experts focused on four areas of action:
- Innovative cross-sector cooperation;
- Sustainable sports infrastructure;
- Sustainable sporting events;
- Capacity building in education and promotion of sustainable sports practices.
Regarding the recommendations made by the group, European institutions, Member States and sports organizations are encouraged to:
- Improve their governance;
- Develop sustainable development strategies and action plans for sport;
- Fund projects promoting sustainable sport;
- Strengthen the capacities of organizations through the sharing of good practices, training and network development;
- Communicate about environmental opportunities and encourage initiatives in this area.