Goal 22: Football, social impact and sustainability
In November 2022, the State of Qatar will host the biggest event of the sporting year, the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™. It is a unique opportunity – not just to stage an unforgettable football tournament, but to harness football’s power to do good off the pitch. We want the tournament’s legacy to be a lasting contribution to international development. To do this, Generation Amazing, the legacy initiative of the 2022 World Cup, has created a programme called Goal 22: Football, Social Impact and Sustainability, and we are looking for partners to come with us on the journey.
The aim of the yearlong programme is to empower young people who are passionate about football with skills that they can use off the pitch to champion sustainable development. To achieve this, we are inviting youth delegations from every one of the 32 countries competing at the World Cup to join us at this year’s Generation Amazing Festival.
Goal 22 has three key phases:
- Phase One is theoretical. It looks at sport as a means to empower youth and pinpoints the foundations of Sport for Development. (Virtual)
- Phase Two is practical. It demonstrates how to create impact through the Generation Amazing Festival 2022 at Education City’s Oxygen Park, Doha. (In-person)
- Phase Three focuses on the community engagement programme, ‘Pass It On’, and how to drive change. (Hybrid)
The young people taking part will all be selected with diversity, inclusion, and sustainability in mind. Goal 22 is all about nurturing partnership and collaboration between key community stakeholders and delivering meaningful and successful community initiatives.
Each delegation from the 32 countries coming to the Festival consists of:
- A school group consisting of 6-8 international school students in Grades 11-12 (aged 16-17)
- A physical education teacher
- Two youth representatives (male & female) from the national football association (Under-21)
- To celebrate the first FIFA World Cup in the Arab region, one youth representative will be invited from each of the Arab football associations
- A select group of young people will be invited to represent the organisations and communities that Generation Amazing has worked with before
Find out more: