World Rugby seeks partners using the sport’s core values to change society
As an international federation and Olympic sport, World Rugby recognises the power of sport to act as a catalyst for peace and societal development. Along with the global rugby family, we have a shared responsibility to use rugby to improve lives and communities.
Rugby’s role - the spirit of rugby
To help harness this spirit, World Rugby has developed the Spirit of Rugby (SoR) programme, a development initiative which recognises World Rugby’s role and the attraction of rugby to organisations wishing to use it to drive sport for good projects.
In collaboration with selected partners and stakeholders, SoR promotes and supports the delivery of meaningful projects across identified key themes relating to sport for development - social inclusion, gender equity, health, education, environmental sustainability and sport for all.
These themes and associated projects can be directly linked to the core rugby values, for example:
- Integrity - education and outreach programmes around anti-corruption, anti-doping etc.
- Respect - adopting positive environmental measures around activities & events
- Solidarity - development projects focussing on social inclusion and equality through rugby
- Passion - develop new passion for the game through ‘Get Into Rugby’ & sport for all activations
- Discipline - promote player welfare and rugby as part of a healthy lifestyle
World Rugby invites project submissions from interested organisations with the following profile:
- Non-political, non-religious organisations
- Registered charities/not-for-profit organisations providing up-to-date audited accounts
- Organisations with an international focus
- Organisations using rugby or sport in general as a catalyst for development
The scope of project proposals may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Activities across appropriate themes including:
- Social inclusion
- Gender equity
- Peace building
- Environmental sustainability
- Sport for all
- Duration between 12 to 24 months
- Sustainable, scalable projects delivering measurable return on investment
Organisations wishing to partner with World Rugby within the SoR framework are invited to download and review the ‘Spirit of Rugby Guide’ and application via the website link below.
If you require any further information on the application process, please contact:
Development and International Relations Project Manager, World Rugby
Tel: +353 1 2409 232
The current Spirit of Rugby application process will close on Friday 19 August 2016.